Thursday, May 31, 2007

We've arrived!


I want to say thank you to all my friends and family for the calls,
emails and gifts before I left. It was fun having the phone ring off the hook
and having many of you stop by with last minute gifts for me!! You didn't
need to do that, I feel so cared about and loved! Thank you for caring about
me so much!! I've enjoyed the special treats for the plane ride too from
many of you!! You all are so awesome!!

Well.... we made it!! It started a little rough, but ended up great! We
left our house at 5:30am on Tuesday May 29th. First flight from MSP to
Chicago O'Hare was quick and easy. Then the long waiting began. We waited in
O'hare for 8 hours. Finally able to board our plane, we found out we needed to
wait for 40 others, but after an hour of waiting, decided to leave without
them anyway. But the late start made us miss our connecting flight to Addis
Ababa. We ended up waiting for 13 hours in Frankfurt, Germany. But the
best part of the waiting was when Melissa and I left the airport and went
downtown Frankfurt. We got out in the sunshine and walked all over the
place. It was so fun!!! And very needed!!! And I got another stamp in
my passport!!!
So, after 48 long hours of traveling, we finally made it to Ethiopia!!!
The flights went really well and didn't seem too long at all. When I got to
the airport in Ethiopia, I found out that one of my bags (the one with all
my clothes) was still in Frankfurt!! I was like, seriously?? We were there
for 13 hours.. you'd think they would of had time to put it on the plane.
Anyway, without stressing too much, I had to leave the airport without
it. Good news is only a few hours later I got a call saying it was here. So
back to the airport to get my luggage. So now all is well with the world!
Our first day is coming to an end! It's been good so far. We haven't done
much today. Slept a little, emailed, relaxed. Tomorrow is a full day of
shopping, buying meal tickets to hand out, and buying more donations to deliver!!
Thanks for all your love and support! I'll write again soon.
Here is a picture of downtown Frankfurt......

No comments: