Saturday, June 2, 2007

Merkato



Shopping at the Merkato was an adventure! There is absolutely anything you could image wanting. Very very crowded!! There is no way we could have done it without our driver Alazar along with us. He helped us with the language, help negotiate prices, and helped keep the brokers away from us. People would just follow us around trying to sell us things without Alazar around cause they knew he would make them charge us less. It was really fun watching Alazar and the merchants going back in forth in Amharic negotiating a price for me!! I felt very special. I knew that if I waited long enough, he would make sure I got a fair price. I bought a lot of great things!! Some clothes for the kids (all three of them)which are so adorable. Many scarves, jewelry, and some other things I can't mention because they are gifts for people!!
I've also seen so many sights that have made me rethink everything about life and the way we all live. It's just something you have to see for yourselr. I can try to explain and show pictures, but it just wont do it justice.

No comments: