Saturday, May 12, 2007

Facts about Ethiopia



Since we're in the waiting stage, I thought I'd take the time to share some information about Addis Ababa,Ethiopia. Addis Ababa is the capital and that is where I will be staying.

*Population: About two million people

*Addis Ababa lying about 8,000 ft above sea level is the third highest capital in the world

*The local currency is the Ethiopian Birr, made up of 100 cents

* The Mercato is located in western Addis Ababa and is one of the largest markets in Africa offering an array of colors, aromas, costumes, produce and jewellery (totally hoping to shop there)

*It is the main trade center for coffee, the country's chief export, and for tobacco, grains, and hides (yes I will be bringing back a lot of coffee for Matt)

*It is 8hrs ahead of our time(WI)- You can check the clock to the right

*The weather is mostly highs of 70's or low 80's

*Since most of you know how much I like to "rough it" I will be staying at the Hilton. It's the second nicest hotel in Addis Ababa!!

No comments: