Thursday, May 31, 2007

Hi from Africa.... again....



I had a pretty good night's sleep last night! I'm really looking forward to going shopping in a few hours. We hired a really great driver and he will be picking us up at the Hilton at 11am! I have so much I want to buy!!! I can't wait.
Right now the weather is beautiful and cool. It's supposed to be sunny and 75 today!
The streets of Addis are very interesting. There are people everywhere. And the driving is insane!! Our driver had to slam on the breaks to avoid hitting a herd of goats!! And people just dart out in traffic at any given moment!! I asked our driver if the driving every makes him get angry and he just laughed!!
The begging from people is very hard to handle. There are so many in need and these absolutely adorable children come up to your window wanting money and even start singing about Jesus. Little kids younger than carter, just walking around without shoes and with only a large man's t'shirt on. I couldn't handle it and started crying (doesn't help that I was very tired)!!! Not just because that is their life, but because there are so many people that I just can't help them all. It's hard to help some and not others. I'm going to try to help as many as I can with meal tickets and bars I hand out, but it hardly seems like it makes any difference.
My driver saw that I was crying and told the beggars to move away and he just kept saying that "You are very kind, you are very kind" But let me tell you, I don't feel kind at all. Not with a hotel room full of food, snacks, and so much clothes, things, Ipod, PSP, computer, that I just couldn't live without for 11 days. It's just very real and it makes you think about your own life. Not that we should all live without anything because these people do, but what are we going to do to help these people to not continue to live this way.......

No comments: